Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang.
2. In a food processor, pulse whole-wheat flour, ½ cup cane juice, ¾ cup butter and tapioca flour until mixture resembles bread crumbs, 10 to 15 pulses. Add orange zest and pecans and pulse once to combine. Spread mixture evenly over prepared pan and press into bottom of pan with floured hands. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 23 minutes.
3. Using a sharp knife, cut into 36 squares. Lift parchment to remove from pan and break into squares.
4. In a small saucepan on medium-high, bring remaining ½ cup cane juice and 2 tbsp water to a boil; boil until sugar is brown and smells like caramel, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in remaining 1 tbsp butter. Drizzle caramel over squares. Once caramel sets, transfer to an airtight container for 3 to 4 days.
- Serving Size 1 Square
- Calories 93
- Carbohydrate Content 11 g
- Cholesterol Content 11 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 1 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 2 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g