Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Nutritional Bonus: In this satisfying dish, you’ll get 41% of your daily requirement for vitamin A, an important micronutrient for maintaining healthy bones, skin and teeth.
- Cook penne to al dente according to package directions. Drain and return to pot. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet on medium-high and coat with cooking spray. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and heated through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Add oil to skillet and heat on medium-high. Add onion and season with 1 pinch each salt and black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, pepper flakes and tomato paste and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced, 1 to 2 minutes. Add half of spinach, stirring until beginning to wilt. Stir in remaining spinach and simmer until tender and most liquid has evaporated, 2 to 4 minutes. Season with a pinch of black pepper.
- To pot with pasta, add tomato mixture, stir well to combine and cook on low until heated through. Spoon into serving bowls and top with Parmesan, dividing evenly. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size 1 1/2-cup
- Calories 401
- Carbohydrate Content 53 g
- Cholesterol Content 58 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 488 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g