Penne with Chicken Sausage, Tomatoes & Spinach
We add depth to the Tetra Pak tomatoes by simmering them with onions, tomato paste, garlic and red pepper flakes. This process also thickens the sauce so it lightly coats the penne instead of drowning it.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Nutritional Bonus: In this satisfying dish, you’ll get 41% of your daily requirement for vitamin A, an important micronutrient for maintaining healthy bones, skin and teeth.
- 8 oz whole-wheat penne pasta
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 3 3-oz all-natural, fully cooked low-fat chicken sausages, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (any variety)
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 pinches fresh ground black pepper or to taste, divided
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/2 tbsp double-concentrated tomato paste (from tube)
- 1 1/3 cups jarred or boxed chopped tomatoes (TRY: Pomi Chopped Tomatoes)
- 7 oz baby spinach
- 1 oz low-sodium Parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook penne to al dente according to package directions. Drain and return to pot. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet on medium-high and coat with cooking spray. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and heated through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Add oil to skillet and heat on medium-high. Add onion and season with 1 pinch each salt and black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, pepper flakes and tomato paste and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced, 1 to 2 minutes. Add half of spinach, stirring until beginning to wilt. Stir in remaining spinach and simmer until tender and most liquid has evaporated, 2 to 4 minutes. Season with a pinch of black pepper.
- To pot with pasta, add tomato mixture, stir well to combine and cook on low until heated through. Spoon into serving bowls and top with Parmesan, dividing evenly. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size 1 1/2-cup
- Calories 401
- Carbohydrate Content 53 g
- Cholesterol Content 58 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 488 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g