Find more like this clean eating pizza here.
Fresh basil leaves contain volatile oils (such as estragole, linalool, eugenol and limonene, to name a few), which may help inhibit unwanted bacterial growth. Plus, eugenol, in particular, may help reduce inflammation by blocking the activity of an enzyme in the body called cyclooxygenase; over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications such as aspirin and ibuprofen work by attempting to inhibit this enzyme.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 pizzasServings
- 1/2 cup natural salt-free tomato sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste (TRY: Simply Organic Crushed Red Pepper Flakes)
- 2 or 3 medium cloves garlic, passed through a garlic press or very finely minced
- 2 whole-wheat, sprouted-wheat or gluten-free pitas
- 1 cup loosely packed spinach or other winter greens, finely chopped
- 2 oz fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 tbsp minced fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, red pepper flakes and garlic; stir to mix well.
- Place both pitas on a baking sheet. Using a pastry brush or spoon, evenly divide sauce mixture between pitas, leaving a 1/4-inch border around edges. Sprinkle with spinach, then arrange mozzarella rounds over top of greens, dividing both evenly.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until greens are wilted and mozzarella is melted. Remove from oven, sprinkle with basil, dividing evenly, and serve immediately. If you're enjoying 1 pizza, loosely wrap remaining pizza in aluminum foil or store in a sealable container for up to 2 days in refrigerator. Reheat in a warm oven or serve at room temperature.
- Serving Size: 1 pizza
- Calories: 183
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Cholesterol Content: 18 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 351 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g