Pesto eggs took off in 2021 thanks to a viral TikTok video that promised to result in a life-changing breakfast hack. And there’s a pretty clear reason why people everywhere started adding spoonfuls of pesto into their scrambled, fried and sunny-side-up eggs – it tastes really, really good! The bold combination of basil, olive oil, pine nuts and Parmesan makes an undeniable improvement on your basic egg breakfast.
But why not make pesto eggs even better and turn them into a delicious, handheld breakfast filled with extra-hearty ingredients? Our Pesto Egg Breakfast Sandwich does exactly that. In fact, it’s so easy, you can make pesto eggs and a whole sandwich in just 15 minutes, tops.
Our Pesto Egg Breakfast Sandwich combines a dollop of pesto with an egg (and you can choose whether you’d like your sandwich to feature a sunny-side-up or over easy egg), a layer of turkey bacon, a handful of mixed greens and a slice of aged cheddar cheese. It’s all bundled together in between an English muffin or whole-grain bread. Protein, veggies and a whole lot of flavor – it’s all here, and it comes together so fast! If you want to customize your breakfast sammie, you can even top it with extras like sliced avocado, sriracha or any of your favorite fixings.
The next time you’re craving a classic but healthy breakfast sandwich, you’ve got to make this one!
Pesto Egg Breakfast Sandwich with Turkey Bacon & Aged Cheddar
- Mist a medium skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium. Cook bacon to desired crispness. Transfer to a plate.
- To skillet, add pesto and heat through. Add egg and season with paprika, salt and pepper. Cook to desired doneness, either over easy or sunny-side up.
- Butter toast or English muffin. Sandwich with pesto egg, turkey bacon, cheese, mixed greens and avocado and sriracha (if using).
- Serving Size 1 recipe
- Calories 527
- Carbohydrate Content 46 g
- Cholesterol Content 6.5 mg
- Fat Content 33 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 723 mg
- Sugar Content 19 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 18 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 7 g