Pho or Vietnamese noodle soup is filled with a wide variety of flavorful and health-promoting ingredients including fresh herbs, spices, citrus fruit and fiber-rich vegetables. However, pho isn’t always the most convenient of foods or the easiest to transport. Try our portable version of this healthy favorite wrapped up in a whole-grain burrito for an easy, on-the-go lunch or dinner.
- Prep Time
- 14 oz brown rice noodles
- 3 tbsp sesame oil, divided
- 5 tbsp reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce, divided
- 2 10-oz pkg firm organic tofu, cut into ¼-inch cubes or sliced
- 2 tsp each ground cinnamon, ginger and garlic powder
- 4 cups shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 8 10-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- Savoy or red cabbage, grated carrot, cilantro and basil leaves, chopped green onions and hot sauce
1. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and toss with 1 tbsp each sesame oil and tamari.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet on medium, heat remaining 2 tbsp sesame oil. Add tofu and sear until browned on underside, about 4 minutes. Flip and brown other side, about 4 minutes.
3. Add cinnamon, ginger and garlic powder and toast until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and sauté until soft, about 2 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together lime zest and juice, vinegar, remaining ¼ cup tamari, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Add to skillet and stir to coat.
4. To each tortilla, add noodles and tofu along center. Top with desired additions and fold to close. If making ahead, store tofu mixture, noodles and optional additions separately and assemble just before eating.
- Serving Size: 1 wrap
- Calories: 508
- Carbohydrate Content: 79 g
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 895 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 6.5 g