In 1 serving of this dish, you'll consume 15% of your day's iron, 58% niacin, 80% thiamine and 53% vitamin B6. Plus, the selenium-rich pork also boosts thyroid function and may help reduce pain from rheumatoid arthritis.
COST PER SERVING
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 lb lean ground pork
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 32 oz low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup brown rice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chile powder
- Juice 1 lime
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish, optional
- Prepare 3/4 cup rice according to package directions. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork; set aside.
- Prepare chowder: Place a large stockpot on medium heat. Add pork and onion and cook for 3 minutes or until pork is opaque and onion begins to turn translucent. Stir in garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove pot from heat, pour pork mixture into a heat-proof colander and drain fat from meat. Return pork mixture to pot and add broth. Stir in beans, 1/4 cup rice, cumin and chile powder. Bring chowder to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Stir in lime juice and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Prepare rice browns: In a large bowl, gently combine cooked rice from Step One with egg whites, mixing with fingertips. Heat 1 tsp oil for 1 minute in a medium pan on medium heat. Add 4 separate 1/8-cup scoops of rice mixture to pan and use the flat side of a spatula to gently press each 1 into a small patty. Cook for 4 minutes, shaking pan slightly halfway through to ensure patty doesn't stick. Quickly slide a spatula underneath each patty and flip over. (TIP: The goal is to jostle the cakes as little as possible.) Cook for 4 more minutes, then remove patties from heat and place on a paper towel to drain. Repeat process with remaining 4 rice browns. Garnish chowder with parsley, if desired, and serve with crispy-hot rice browns on the side.
- Serving Size: 2 rice browns and 2 c chowder
- Calories: 362
- Carbohydrate Content: 40 g
- Cholesterol Content: 74 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 34 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 171 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g