Beet fiber has been the topic of research lately where the hyper-pigmented root veggie is concerned. It seems all dietary fiber sources aren’t completely alike, and beet fiber may have a few extra tricks up its already-potent sleeve (same with carrot fiber). It seems the digestive tract and the cardiovascular system are the chief benefactors of beet fiber’s special health benefits.
Use a mandoline to cut thin beet slices.
Video: Root Vegetables
Chef Jo’s root vegetable tutorial is all about how to clean the bulbous veggies and easily incorporate them into your Clean Eating recipes.
- Prepare pickled beets: In a large bowl, combine vinegar, spices, cane juice, salt and beets. Cover and marinate at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare Italian honey: In a small bowl, combine honey, salt and herbs. Set aside.
- To serve, place pickled beets onto platter; discard marinade. Drizzle beets with oil and Italian honey. Garnish with yogurt and fresh mint, if desired.
- Serving Size 5 oz
- Calories 147
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 352 mg
- Sugar Content 16 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g