Learn how to make lacto-fermented veggies here.
- Divide ginger and cardamom among 2 16-oz wide-mouth glass jars. Cut carrots into 3½-inch lengths, halving or quartering thicker lengths and leaving thin lengths whole. Divide carrots among 16-oz jars, packing tightly.
- In a large glass measuring cup, stir together filtered water and salt until salt dissolves. Pour into 16-oz jars, leaving 1-inch headspace between surface of liquid and rim of jars. Arrange cabbage leaves in 16-oz jars over top of carrots. Fill 2 small glass jars with water and seal tightly with lids. Place in 16-oz jars over top of cabbage leaves to keep carrots submerged in liquid.
- Place 16-oz jars in a shallow bowl to catch any overflow and cover with clean tea towels. Let ferment in a cool place away from direct sunlight, pressing down on small jars as needed to keep carrots submerged in liquid, for 7 to 14 days. Remove small jars and discard cabbage leaves. Seal 16-oz jars tightly with lids and refrigerate for up to 12 months.
- Serving Size 4 carrot sticks
- Calories 6
- Carbohydrate Content 1.5 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 0 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 68 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g