Nutritional Bonus: Sprouted seeds, beans, nuts and grains are nutritional powerhouses. The sprouting process breaks down phytic acid, an anti-nutrient that normally binds with minerals such as iron and calcium, and prevents their absorption. Cooking, soaking and marinating foods can also reduce phytic acid to some degree.
COST PER SERVING
- Prep Time
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted and peeled
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Juice 1/2 lemon (about 4 tsp)
- 2 6.4-oz pouches cooked tuna in water
- 4 whole-wheat pitas (each 6 inches in diameter), halved and pockets opened
- 4 oz alfalfa sprouts
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 Roma tomato, thinly sliced into rounds
- Prepare Avocado Cream: In a medium bowl, add avocado, garlic and lemon juice. Mash with a fork and mix well. Set aside.
- Divide tuna evenly among pita halves, then top with equal amounts of sprouts, zucchini and tomato. Finish by spreading 1 1/2 tbsp Avocado Cream in each half.
- Toast pita halves in a toaster oven for 3 minutes, until cut edges are just beginning to brown. (Alternatively, you can place pita halves on a baking sheet and bake in a 350°F oven for 8 minutes or until edges are just beginning to brown.) Place a clean, dry washcloth on top of each hot pita half and press down gently with your hand, making sure to apply even, smooth pressure so paninis are compressed instead of smashed. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1 pita, 3 oz tuna, 1/4 tomato, 1/4 zucchini, 1 oz sprouts, 3 tbsp avocado creme
- Calories: 378
- Carbohydrate Content: 43 g
- Cholesterol Content: 27 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 27 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 410 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g