Six ounces of sardines contain up to 50% of your recommended daily calcium intake. This is especially good news if you experience premenstrual syndrome (PMS), as a study has linked PMS with lower calcium levels and found that an increase in calcium may help ease symptoms.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- 1 bulb fennel, halved, cored, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, halved, sliced
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (TRY: Origin 846 Unfiltered Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp sea salt, or as needed
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper)
- 1 10-inch frozen cauliflower pizza crust (or swap for a gluten-free or whole-grain crust if preferred)
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 4 oz BPA-free can skinless, boneless wild sardines in olive oil or water, drained (TRY: Wild Planet Wild Sardines in Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, Lightly Smoked)
- 1 cup baby arugula
- ½ oz Parmesan cheese, shaved
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF; place a baking sheet in the oven as it preheats. In a bowl, combine fennel, onion, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper; toss. Spread mixture on hot baking sheet and roast until very tender and caramelized, stirring once or twice, 30 to 40 minutes.
2. Place pizza crust on a separate baking sheet. (NOTE: Some cauliflower crusts require pre- baking. If yours does, follow package instructions.) Spread sauce over crust, leaving a ½-inch border around edges. Spread fennel mixture evenly over crust on top of sauce. Break up fish and spread over crust. (NOTE: If your sardines and sauce are not salty, you may need to season with additional salt.)
3. Bake until crust is cooked, as package label directs. Top hot pizza with arugula and Parmesan before slicing into wedges.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 531
- Carbohydrate Content: 50 g
- Cholesterol Content: 47 mg
- Fat Content: 26 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 30 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 818 mg
- Sugar Content: 13 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 4 g