Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Nutritional Bonus: Just 1 cup of cooked chard contributes 716% of your daily vitamin K needs, while the same amount of cubed sweet potato offers 769% of your day’s vitamin A. Together, the fat-soluble nutrients help your body absorb calcium to maintain healthy bones.
- Rub springform pan with small amount of oil and set aside. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Prepare crust: Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a 2 1/2-qt saucepan. Add cornmeal and salt, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 25 minutes or until cornmeal is soft and creamy, adding more water if desired or if cornmeal begins to look dry. Remove from heat and stir in dried herbs.
- Prepare filling: In a large skillet on medium heat, sauté onion in oil for 3 minutes or until onion just begins to turn translucent. Gently fold in chard and cook for another 2 minutes, then stir in peas and remove from heat.
- Add half of herbed cornmeal to springform pan, using a spatula to smooth it across the bottom. Spoon chard filling onto cornmeal, then finish with another layer of remaining herbed cornmeal over chard filling. (Don’t worry if crust doesn’t come all the way out to the edges.) Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until top begins to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare caponata: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Simmer sweet potatoes for 5 minutes, then promptly drain.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium for 1 minute. Add onion, carrots and celery and cook for 5 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and cook for 5 more minutes. Stir in maple syrup, vinegar and spices and reduce heat to lowest setting. Cover caponata and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Unlock sides of springform pan and use a flat spatula to serve portions of pie. Accompany each portion with a spoonful of caponata.
- Serving Size 1/2 c caponata and 1/4 of polenta pie
- Calories 336
- Carbohydrate Content 67 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 441 mg
- Sugar Content 17 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g