We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Prep Time
- 10 to 12Servings
- 1 12- to 14-lb turkey, deboned with skin on (TIP: Order in advance and ask your butcher to prepare it for you, reserving about half of the bones to make gravy.)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 4 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 2 tsp fennel seeds, chopped
- 1 tsp ground black pepper, divided (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper)
- extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing (TRY: California Olive Ranch Reserve Miller’s Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp chopped fresh sage
- 2 cups baby kale, chopped
- 1 cup cooked brown and wild rice blend
- 1 cup gluten-free or whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder (TRY: Bob’s Red Mill Arrowroot Starch/Flour)
- 1 tbsp water
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste (optional)
1 DAY IN ADVANCE
1. Place turkey on a cutting board. Run your fingers between meat and skin to detach skin in a single piece. Cover meat with plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, gently pound to even thickness. In a small bowl, mix together rosemary, sage, three-quarters of kosher salt, fennel seeds and one-half of pepper; rub all over meat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to stuff.
2. Make stuffing: In a large skillet, heat oil on medium. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, rosemary and sage and cook, stirring occasionally, until shallot is soft and translucent but not browned, about 10 minutes. Add kale and cook, stirring, until starting to wilt, about 2 minutes.
3. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool. Add rice, bread crumbs, dried cranberries, eggs, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Refrigerate until completely cool.
4. Spoon stuffing down center of turkey. Starting at 1 short edge, roll up meat around stuffing and secure with toothpicks. Wrap skin around turkey roll. Using kitchen twine, tie roll at 1-inch intervals. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight or for up to 1 day.
5. Make gravy: Preheat oven to 400°F. Place reserved turkey bones (you’ll need about half of the bones from whole turkey) in a roasting pan and roast, stirring halfway through, for 11/2 hours. Transfer roasted bones and any drippings to a large pot and add broth, thyme and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours. Strain liquid and let cool. Skim off any fat and pour into a clean saucepan. Bring liquid to a simmer. In a small bowl, whisk arrowroot with water until smooth; whisk into gravy. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Let cool. Cover and refrigerate.
6. Make glaze: In a small saucepan, combine pomegranate juice, broth, honey, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly reduced, about 8 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk arrowroot with water until smooth; whisk into glaze. Simmer until glossy and thickened, about 1 minute. Strain into a small bowl and let cool. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
7. Remove turkey roll from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 450°F. Unwrap roll and pat dry with paper towels. Place in a roasting pan. Brush lightly with oil and sprinkle with remaining kosher salt and pepper. Roast until outside is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
8. Reduce heat to 300°F. Roast, basting with glaze and pan drippings every 30 minutes, until an instant- read thermometer inserted in center reads 165°F, about 2½ hours. Remove from oven, tent with foil and let rest for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, reheat gravy over low heat. Remove toothpicks from roll before cutting into slices. Serve with gravy.
- Serving Size: 1/12 of recipe
- Calories: 47
- Carbohydrate Content: 6 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 149 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g