Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Without cutting into flesh, trim both tips of 3 lemons. Arrange 1 trimmed lemon with 1 cut side down. Carefully slice almost but not all the way through to bottom of lemon. Turn lemon 90 degrees and slice almost but not all the way through to bottom of lemon. Repeat with remaining trimmed lemons.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp salt into center of each cut lemon. Arrange 1 cut lemon, cut side down, in a 16-oz wide-mouth glass jar. Using a spoon, press firmly on lemon to squeeze out juice. Sprinkle 1 tsp salt over top of lemon. Repeat with remaining cut lemons and salt, stacking lemons in jar.
- Juice remaining 2 lemons and pour juice into jar. Fill a small glass jar with water and seal tightly with lid. Place in 16-oz jar over top of lemons to keep lemons submerged in liquid. Place 16-oz jar in a shallow bowl to catch any overflow and cover with a clean tea towel. Let ferment in a cool place away from direct sunlight for 4 to 6 weeks.
- Remove small jar. Seal 16-oz jar tightly with lid and refrigerate for up to 12 months.
- Serving Size 1 tsp chopped
- Calories 3
- Carbohydrate Content 1 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 0 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 69 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g