Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Just because ’tis the season of indulgence, that doesn’t mean you should deprive your body of essential nutrients for empty calories. One way to ensure you are not lacking in the nutrient department is to sneak in legumes whenever possible. They are a great source of protein, iron and folate. Here, we’ve incorporated them into this sweet treat for a clean snack or dessert.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F and grease an 8-inch square baking dish with oil.
2. To a food processor, add all ingredients except dark chocolate; process until batter is smooth. Fold in ¼ cup dark chocolate. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining ¼ cup chocolate over top.
3. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and edges are beginning to brown.Let cool for 1 hour, then cut into 16 squares. (NOTE: Batter may look slightly underdone, which is the key to these squares staying moist. Don’t be tempted to skip the cooling time as the squares will crumble if you try to cut them while they’re hot.)
- Serving Size 1 square
- Calories 105
- Carbohydrate Content 12 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 92 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 1 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g