Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 eggs plus 2 egg whites, 2 yolks reserved for crème
- 1/2 cup maple sugar flakes
- 4 packets stevia
- 15 oz canned organic solid pumpkin or cooked and puréed pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 5 cups cubed whole-wheat, day-old bakery bread (1-inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1/4 cup maple sugar flakes
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Lightly mist an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites, 1/2 cup maple sugar flakes, stevia, pumpkin, 1 1/2 cups milk, 1 tsp vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. With a rubber spatula, fold in bread and cranberries. Spoon mixture into baking dish, smooth top with spatula and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare crème: In a medium heatproof bowl, whisk reserved 2 yolks and 1/4 cup maple sugar flakes. In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup milk on medium until bubbling around the edges. Remove from heat and slowly whisk 1/3 cup milk into yolk mixture. Return saucepan to medium heat. Whisk arrowroot into yolk-milk mixture and add to saucepan. Cook, stirring often, for 3 to 5 minutes, until slightly thickened; do not boil. Remove from heat, whisk in 1/4 tsp vanilla and transfer to a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed (no more than 6 hours).
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Remove plastic wrap from baking dish. Bake bread mixture for 40 to 50 minutes, until custard sets. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Slice into rectangles and drizzle each serving with crème, dividing evenly.
Opting for day-old unsliced bakery bread allows your pudding to hold its shape when cooked, as it tends to be firmer. In a pinch, pre-sliced bread will do.
Nutrients per serving (1/6 of bread pudding and 3 tbsp crème): Calories: 225 , Total Fat: 4 g, Sat. Fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 39 g, Fiber: 6g, Sugars: 16 g, Protein: 8 g, Sodium: 337 mg , Cholesterol: 70 mg