Got a few more minutes? Make our 5-Minute Guacamole: Mash together 2 ripe avocados, 1 minced shallot and 2 minced cloves garlic. Mix in 1 small diced tomato, 1 tsp lime juice, 1/2 tsp sea salt and 1/4 tsp ground black pepper. Stir to combine.
Heart helpers: The kidney beans in this protein-packed chili are an excellent source of soluble fiber, a type of fiber that aids in weight management by keeping you full for longer. Additionally, clinical studies have shown that beans may help prevent cardiovascular disease by reducing inflammation.
- Prep Time
- 1 1/2 tsp each garlic powder, onion powder, organic evaporated cane juice (aka organic cane sugar), dried parsley and chipotle powder
- 1 tsp each red pepper flakes and ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 28-oz BPA-free can unsalted diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can unsalted kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup frozen and thawed corn
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Tortilla chips, guacamole, shredded cheese, sour cream or cilantro
1. In a small bowl, combine all seasoning mix ingredients; set aside.
2. In a large pot on medium-high, heat oil. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add beef, tamari and seasoning mix. Cook, stirring, until beef is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, beans corn and broth; bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
3. Divide mixture among bowls. Top each bowl with desired optional toppings.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 502
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Cholesterol Content: 111 mg
- Fat Content: 21 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 44 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 886 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 10 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g