FOR THE WELLNESS OVERACHIEVER: Rehydrate ¼ cup dried wakame flakes according to package directions. Or use 3 to 4 wakame strips: Soak for 10 minutes in room-temperature water then chop. Stir into marinara sauce. Wakame is a seaweed that contains important minerals such as iron, a key factor in energy, and manganese, an important nutrient for healthy skin.
- Prep Time
2 eggplants (about 2 lb)
3 tbsp olive oil
sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 cups packed baby spinach
1½ cups all natural marinara sauce, divided
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp red pepper flakes
½ cup full-fat ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Slice stem off eggplant and cut into ¼-inch slices. Arrange on prepared sheets and brush both sides with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, 15 to 20 minutes, turning halfway.
3. In a large saucepan, bring quinoa and 1¾ cups water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed. Turn off heat and let sit, covered, 5 to 10 minutes. Fluff with fork and stir in spinach. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes.
4. Spread ½ cup marinara sauce on bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Layer half of the eggplant over sauce, covering bottom of baking dish.
5. In a large bowl, stir together quinoa mixture, eggs, oregano and pepper flakes. Transfer to baking dish and spread in an even layer, pressing down with a moist spatula. Dollop ricotta on top of casserole and top with ½ cup mozzarella.
6. Place another layer of eggplant slices on top. Cover casserole with 1 cup marinara sauce and top remaining ½ cup mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden in some spots.
- Serving Size: ⅛ of recipe
- Calories: 371
- Carbohydrate Content: 38 g
- Cholesterol Content: 92 mg
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 753 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3 g