You won't miss the rice in this high-protein, low-carb quinoa jambalaya. We also mix in lean chicken sausage, shrimp and plenty of good-for-you veggies.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- ½ sweet yellow onion, chopped
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed
- 6 shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 14.5-oz BPA-free can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 links chicken sausages (no added nitrates or nitrites), sliced
- ½ cup jarred chopped roasted red pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp each smoked paprika, dried oregano and dried thyme
- ¼ tsp each sea salt, ground black pepper and red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ lb peeled and deveined large shrimp
- In a large, deep nonstick skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Add bell pepper, onion, quinoa and mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth, sausage, roasted pepper, garlic, paprika, oregano, thyme, salt, black pepper, pepper flakes and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Uncover and add shrimp to skillet. Cover and cook 5 minutes until quinoa is tender and shrimp is cooked.
NOTE: If following our Meal Plan, refrigerate remaining servings and reheat when called for.
Related: Healthy Quinoa Recipes
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 282
- Carbohydrate Content 29 g
- Cholesterol Content 106 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 1035 mg
- Sugar Content 5.5 g