Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Unlike many grains, quinoa, which is a seed, contains anti-inflammatory agents including phenolic acids, polysaccharides and vitamin E. These compounds are thought to help improve the gut microbiome and increase beneficial gut bacteria.
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF; place 2 large baking sheets in oven as it preheats. In a large bowl, combine carrots, fennel, 1 tbsp oil and ½ tsp each salt and pepper; toss to coat. In a separate bowl, place beets, garlic, 2 tsp oil and ¼ tsp each salt and pepper; toss to coat.
2. Remove one hot baking sheet from oven. Spread carrot-fennel mixture on sheet in a single layer and tuck 3 thyme springs among vegetables; return to oven and remove other hot baking sheet. Spread beets and garlic on baking sheet and tuck 2 thyme springs among vegetables. Return baking sheet to oven and roast vegetables, rotating sheets and stirring once or twice, until tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove baking sheets from oven and set aside to cool.
3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan on medium-high, heat remaining 1 tsp oil. Add quinoa and ⅛ tsp each salt and pepper. Cook and stir until quinoa is lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook 15 minutes without stirring. Tilt pan; if water remains, cover and cook quinoa 3 minutes more. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Transfer quinoa to a large bowl and let cool slightly. Add carrot-fennel mixture and toss.
4. When garlic cloves are cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic out of peels into a small bowl; mash with a fork. Stir in yogurt, lemon zest and lemon juice, remaining ⅛ tsp salt and ⅛ tsp pepper.
5. Spread 2 tbsp yogurt sauce on each of 4 plates. Divide quinoa mixture among plates; top with beets, pistachios and parsley.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 314
- Carbohydrate Content 44 g
- Cholesterol Content 4 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 705 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g