For more acorn squash recipes, click here.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 medium to large acorn squashes, halved and seeded
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 pinches each sea salt and ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 4 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 cups spinach, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup naturally sweetened dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted walnuts, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut a little bit off the end of each squash half, if needed, to help it stand cut side up. Lightly coat squash with 1 tbsp oil, sprinkle with pinch each salt and pepper and place cut side down on a large baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook quinoa: In a small saucepan, bring quinoa and 3/4 cup water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork.
3. Meanwhile, in a small skillet on medium, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add onion and cook until softened and starting to turn golden, 4 to 6 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tbsp oil, vinegar, honey, lime juice, mustard, cayenne pepper (if using), and remaining pinch each salt and pepper. Add quinoa, onion, spinach, cranberries and walnuts; toss to coat.
5. To each squash cavity, place one-quarter of quinoa mixture in each well, pressing to fit.
6. To heat, place one serving on baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes at 350°F or until squash is soft and filling is hot. To heat leftovers directly from refrigerator, heat at 350°F for 30 minutes.
TIP: If following our Meal Plan, prepare recipe through step 5, then cover and refrigerate servings. Heat each serving just before eating.
- Serving Size: 1 stuffed acorn half
- Calories: 475
- Carbohydrate Content: 65 g
- Fat Content: 23 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 124 mg
- Sugar Content: 20 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 11 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 8 g