Find more vegetarian recipes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- ½ cup whole-grain spelt flour
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp dulse flakes (TIP: Dulse flakes give the cakes a fishlike flavor, but you can omit if you can’t find them.)
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1½ cups grated carrots
- 1 cup BPA-free canned unsalted chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup grated fennel
- 1 cup grated radishes
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tsp lemon zest + 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp grape seed oil, divided
- Hummus, Broccoli Pesto, yogurt, cucumber slices, fresh dill, as desired
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, flaxseeds, paprika, dulse, coriander, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, mix together carrots, chickpeas, fennel, radishes, dill, lemon zest, lemon juice and eggs. Toss to coat vegetables evenly.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture. Combine until incorporated.
- In a large sauté pan on medium-high, heat 2 tsp oil. Working in batches, using a ¼-cup measure per cake, add 5 scoops batter to pan. Cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Flip and press cakes to flatten them, to approximately 3 inches in diameter. Cook on second side until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Repeat two more times with remaining oil and batter, making a total of 14 cakes.
- To serve, garnish with your choice of hummus, Broccoli Pesto, cucumber and/or fresh dill.
- Serving Size: 1 cake
- Calories: 75
- Carbohydrate Content: 9 g
- Cholesterol Content: 27 mg
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 98 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g