- Prep Time
- 5 small beets
- 2 1/2 cups whole spelt flour + additional for dusting
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup grape seed oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups pitted dates
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
1. Prepare beet purée: Preheat oven to 400°F. Wrap beets individually in foil and place in a baking pan. Bake until fork-tender, about 45 minutes. Cool slightly, then carefully unwrap and slip off peels. Transfer beets to a food processor and process until smooth (you should have about 2 cups).
2. Reduce oven to 350°F. Mist a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray then dust with flour.
3. To a large bowl, combine flour, 1 cup cocoa powder, flaxseed, baking soda and salt. To a medium bowl, add 2 cups beet purée, 1 cup water, maple syrup, grape seed oil, vinegar and vanilla.
4. Add wet mixture to dry mixture. Using a spatula, mix until fully incorporated; pour into prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, to a food processor, add all icing ingredients and process until smooth, scraping down sides as needed, about 7 minutes. Spread icing over cake. Cut into 12 squares.
- Serving Size: 1 square
- Calories: 395
- Carbohydrate Content: 56 g
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 180 mg
- Sugar Content: 27 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 8 g