Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
1. Prepare beet purée: Preheat oven to 400°F. Wrap beets individually in foil and place in a baking pan. Bake until fork-tender, about 45 minutes. Cool slightly, then carefully unwrap and slip off peels. Transfer beets to a food processor and process until smooth (you should have about 2 cups).
2. Reduce oven to 350°F. Mist a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray then dust with flour.
3. To a large bowl, combine flour, 1 cup cocoa powder, flaxseed, baking soda and salt. To a medium bowl, add 2 cups beet purée, 1 cup water, maple syrup, grape seed oil, vinegar and vanilla.
4. Add wet mixture to dry mixture. Using a spatula, mix until fully incorporated; pour into prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, to a food processor, add all icing ingredients and process until smooth, scraping down sides as needed, about 7 minutes. Spread icing over cake. Cut into 12 squares.
- Serving Size 1 square
- Calories 395
- Carbohydrate Content 56 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 180 mg
- Sugar Content 27 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 8 g