1. Marinate steak: In a shallow bowl, whisk together garlic, shallot, 3 tbsp parsley, 2 tbsp wine, 1 tbsp oil, vinegar and rosemary. Add steak, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, prepare vegetables: In a large saucepan on medium-low, heat oil. Add carrots, onions, salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring often and adding water, 1 tsp at a time, as necessary to prevent sticking, until lightly caramelized, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a plate; cover to keep warm. Add spinach to same saucepan and cook, stirring often, until wilted and liquid is absorbed, 5 to 7 minutes. Return onions and carrots to pan with spinach.
3. Transfer 1 cup vegetables to a small bowl; let cool, then cover and refrigerate to prepare our French Onion–Style Beef Vegetable Soup the next day. Cover remaining vegetables to keep warm.
4. Meanwhile, remove steak from marinade; pat dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet on medium, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil. Working in batches, add steak and cook, turning once, until browned and cooked to desired doneness, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer 1 piece steak to a plate; let cool, then add to container with vegetables and refrigerate to make French Onion–Style Beef Vegetable Soup. Transfer remaining steak to a cutting board; cover loosely with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain.
5. While steak is resting, prepare sauce: Heat same skillet on medium; add broth and remaining 6 tbsp wine; bring to a boil. Whisk in tomato paste and cook, whisking often and scraping up browned bits from bottom, until reduced to . cup, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter.
6. Divide remaining vegetables among plates. Top with steak and drizzle with wine mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp parsley.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 381
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 80 mg
- Fat Content 22.5 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 27 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 593 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 11 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g