Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Related: Savory Dutch Baby Pancake
- In a large, oven-safe skillet on medium high, heat olive oil. Add bacon and cook, stirring frequently, until crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon. Add leeks to skillet and cook, stirring often, until softened and starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add broth, lemon juice and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender and liquid is absorbed, 15 to 18 minutes. Preheat broiler to high.
- Meanwhile, preheat a large electric nonstick griddle to high (400°F). If using a stove-top griddle, heat to medium-high. In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, lemon zest, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg, whisking to break up any lumps. In a large bowl, combine eggs and cane juice. Beat vigorously with a whisk for 1 minute. Add milk and ricotta cheese and whisk to combine. Whisk in dry ingredients until just combined, being careful not to over-mix.
- Melt coconut oil on griddle, spreading to coat surface. Working in batches, drop a scant 1/4 cup batter onto griddle for each pancake, gently spreading to a 3-inch circle with the back of a greased spoon. (NOTE: Batter will thicken as it sits, so spreading with a spoon will become necessary for the last few pancakes.) Cook until evenly browned on first side, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, gently lifting an edge of pancake to check for doneness. Flip pancakes and continue cooking on other side until evenly browned, about 1 to 1½ minutes more.
- Remove lid from leeks and top with Romano cheese and bacon. Place under broiler until cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
- Serving Size 2 pancakes and 1/8 of leeks
- Calories 217
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 112 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 540 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g