Ricotta Pancakes with Cheesy Leeks & Turkey Bacon
Coconut flour and ricotta stand in for regular flour in these lemony pancakes, while leeks and turkey bacon add flavor and protein to this meal.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Related: Savory Dutch Baby Pancake
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 6 1-oz strips all-natural turkey bacon (no nitrates or nitrites), chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 6 leeks (white and light green parts only), split lengthwise and chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest plus
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (TRY: Bob's Red Mill Organic Coconut Flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 1 tbsp organic evaporated cane juice
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- In a large, oven-safe skillet on medium high, heat olive oil. Add bacon and cook, stirring frequently, until crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon. Add leeks to skillet and cook, stirring often, until softened and starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add broth, lemon juice and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender and liquid is absorbed, 15 to 18 minutes. Preheat broiler to high.
- Meanwhile, preheat a large electric nonstick griddle to high (400°F). If using a stove-top griddle, heat to medium-high. In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, lemon zest, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg, whisking to break up any lumps. In a large bowl, combine eggs and cane juice. Beat vigorously with a whisk for 1 minute. Add milk and ricotta cheese and whisk to combine. Whisk in dry ingredients until just combined, being careful not to over-mix.
- Melt coconut oil on griddle, spreading to coat surface. Working in batches, drop a scant 1/4 cup batter onto griddle for each pancake, gently spreading to a 3-inch circle with the back of a greased spoon. (NOTE: Batter will thicken as it sits, so spreading with a spoon will become necessary for the last few pancakes.) Cook until evenly browned on first side, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, gently lifting an edge of pancake to check for doneness. Flip pancakes and continue cooking on other side until evenly browned, about 1 to 1½ minutes more.
- Remove lid from leeks and top with Romano cheese and bacon. Place under broiler until cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
- Serving Size 2 pancakes and 1/8 of leeks
- Calories 217
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 112 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 540 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g