Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Prick potato with a fork and bake on a tray for 50 to 60 minutes, until tender. Allow to cool. Peel and discard skin and mash flesh with a fork; set aside. (TIP: Since you’re already heating up your oven, why not toss in a few extra sweet potatoes to use in lunches, dinners or snacks?)
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk in ricotta, Parmesan, oregano, pepper, 1/4 tsp salt and nutmeg; whisk until smooth and fluffy, about 1 minute. Whisk in spinach until incorporated. Fold in 1 cup mashed potato, reserving any extra for future use. Sift 1/2 cup flour into bowl and gently fold in, (NOTE: Mixture will be wet.)
- Spread 2 cups flour in a 9 x 13-inch tray or dish, about 2- to 3-inches deep. Gently scoop ricotta mixture into 2 1/2 tbsp balls; lightly roll each in your palms and drop into flour, making a total of 24 balls. (TIP: To keep mixture from sticking to hands, rinse hands under cold water and shake off excess.) Toss flour over balls and pat each gently to coat. Arrange into rows on tray, ensuring balls don’t touch. Sprinkle remaining 2 cups flour over balls. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight. (NOTE: Resting gnudi in flour creates a thin, pasta-like exterior as the flour binds with moisture from the dumplings.)
- Bring a large pot of water to a gentle boil; add remaining pinch salt. Carefully remove gnudi from flour, shaking off and discarding excess and place on a tray. Gently immerse half the balls into boiling water. (NOTE: The key to cooking gnudi is to not crowd the pot.) Cook for about 5 to 6 minutes, until balls float to the top. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a large bowl. Repeat with remaining balls.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pot on medium, heat marinara sauce until it bubbles. Reduce heat to low, cover and keep warm. Add gnudi to a large serving bowl and gently coat in sauce.
- Serving Size 4 gnudi and 1/3 cup sauce
- Calories 370
- Carbohydrate Content 59 g
- Cholesterol Content 89 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 380 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g