Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- To a small saucepan, add barley and 1 1/2 cups stock. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until tender and most of liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and set aside in saucepan.
- In a medium saucepan on medium-high, heat oil. Add asparagus and zest and sauté for 2 minutes, until tender-crisp. Add barley and remaining 1/3 cup stock and cook on medium, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. (NOTE: If you have leftovers, refrigerate in a covered container and use in soups and salads within two days.)
Nutrients per serving (1/2 cup): Calories: 147, Total Fat: 3 g, Sat. Fat: 0.5 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 27 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 2 g, Protein: 3 g, Sodium: 192 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg
Matt Binkley developed this recipe with an irresistible Fennel, Mustard & Citrus-Crusted Salmon dish. Impress that special someone or a table of guests with the two!