Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- In a medium bowl, combine sage, 2 tbsp oil, salt and pepper. Place turkey on a work surface and gently slip your fingers under the skin to work in herb mixture, distributing it evenly over meat. Set turkey aside for 1 hour at room temperature or covered overnight in the refrigerator. (NOTE: If turkey is marinating in the refrigerator, remove from fridge about 1 hour to bring to room temperature before proceeding.)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Set a roasting rack in a roasting pan large enough to hold turkey with about 2 inches room around all sides. Spray rack and pan with cooking spray.
- Arrange turkey, breast side up, on rack. Tie legs together (if they aren’t already) and tuck in wings. Add broth to roasting pan, loosely cover turkey with foil and roast for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss onions with remaining 2 tbsp oil. Set aside.
- Remove foil and baste turkey with pan juices. Arrange onion mixture in pan around turkey. Continue roasting uncovered and basting turkey and onions every 20 to 30 minutes, until an internal thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh and breast without touching bone reads 165°F, 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 hours total cooking time. (NOTE: If pan gets dry, add more broth or water to maintain about 1/4-inch liquid. If any part of turkey gets too brown, cover it loosely with foil.) Transfer turkey to a cutting board and let rest, loosely covered with foil, for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, carefully strain pan drippings into a measuring cup and set aside to let fat separate. Skim fat from pan drippings. In a medium saucepan on medium-high, combine 1 cup of remaining pan drippings, wine and flour-water mixture and bring to a boil, whisking. Continue whisking until sauce thickens, about 30 seconds. Season with additional salt and pepper and transfer to a gravy boat.
- Remove skin and carve turkey. Serve onions and gravy on the side.
- Serving Size 4 oz Roast Turkey, 1/2 cup onions, 1/4 cup gravy
- Calories 288
- Carbohydrate Content 14 g
- Cholesterol Content 115 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 35 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 268 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g