Find more vegetarian recipes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 12 oz red or golden beets (2 to 3)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp each fennel seeds and black peppercorns
- 1 3-inch sprig fresh rosemary + 1 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary, divided
- ½ tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 4½ cups packed chopped stemmed Tuscan or lacinato kale
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 6 oz soft goat cheese
- 4 sheets whole-wheat phyllo pastry
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a small baking dish, toss together beets, oil, fennel seeds, peppercorns, rosemary sprig and ¼ tsp salt. Cover dish tightly with foil; bake until a paring knife slides easily into center of beets, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Using tongs, transfer beets to a cutting board. Strain remaining oil mixture and reserve. Let beets cool enough to handle; slide off and discard skins. Cut beets into bite-size chunks; set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tsp reserved oil mixture on medium. Add leek and sauté, stirring frequently, until tender, about 3 minutes. Add kale, garlic, ground black pepper, chopped rosemary and remaining ¼ tsp salt and cook, tossing constantly with tongs, until kale is wilted and garlic is fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add 2 tbsp water; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until kale is tender, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes. Add beets and goat cheese and lightly mix.
- Place 1 sheet phyllo on a work surface with long end facing you; keep remaining phyllo covered with a clean tea towel to prevent drying out. Brush 1 tsp remaining oil mixture over surface of phyllo. Arrange one-quarter of beet and kale mixture on bottom corner of phyllo, leaving a border around edges. Fold over diagonally into a triangular shape, repeating until you reach close to the end of the phyllo. Fold over remaining edge, pushing corners of triangles slightly inward. (TIP: Fold tightly, but gently, so that edges of pastry aren't loose around filling.)
- Arrange, seam side down, on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush lightly with some of the remaining oil mixture; sprinkle with ¼ tsp poppy seeds. Repeat with remaining phyllo, oil mixture, beet-kale mixture and poppy seeds.
- Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 triangle
- Calories: 391
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Cholesterol Content: 20 mg
- Fat Content: 23.5 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 619 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g