Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Find more Plant-Based recipes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a small baking dish, toss together beets, oil, fennel seeds, peppercorns, rosemary sprig and ¼ tsp salt. Cover dish tightly with foil; bake until a paring knife slides easily into center of beets, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Using tongs, transfer beets to a cutting board. Strain remaining oil mixture and reserve. Let beets cool enough to handle; slide off and discard skins. Cut beets into bite-size chunks; set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tsp reserved oil mixture on medium. Add leek and sauté, stirring frequently, until tender, about 3 minutes. Add kale, garlic, ground black pepper, chopped rosemary and remaining ¼ tsp salt and cook, tossing constantly with tongs, until kale is wilted and garlic is fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add 2 tbsp water; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until kale is tender, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes. Add beets and goat cheese and lightly mix.
- Place 1 sheet phyllo on a work surface with long end facing you; keep remaining phyllo covered with a clean tea towel to prevent drying out. Brush 1 tsp remaining oil mixture over surface of phyllo. Arrange one-quarter of beet and kale mixture on bottom corner of phyllo, leaving a border around edges. Fold over diagonally into a triangular shape, repeating until you reach close to the end of the phyllo. Fold over remaining edge, pushing corners of triangles slightly inward. (TIP: Fold tightly, but gently, so that edges of pastry aren’t loose around filling.)
- Arrange, seam side down, on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush lightly with some of the remaining oil mixture; sprinkle with ¼ tsp poppy seeds. Repeat with remaining phyllo, oil mixture, beet-kale mixture and poppy seeds.
- Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Serving Size 1 triangle
- Calories 391
- Carbohydrate Content 33 g
- Cholesterol Content 20 mg
- Fat Content 23.5 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 619 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g