TIP: If following our Meal Plan, refrigerate 1 serving of leftover roast and mashed veggies, and separately pack and refrigerate 2 3-oz portions leftover roast.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 lb eye-of-round beef roast
- 3 large cloves garlic, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 3 large sweet potatoes, quartered
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced fresh chives
- Remove roast from refrigerator 30 minutes before prepping. Preheat oven to 500°F. Cut 1 clove garlic into 8 slivers. Cut 8 slits lengthwise in top of roast. Tuck garlic slivers into slits on roast. In a small bowl, mix 1 1⁄4 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and thyme; rub to cover top and sides of roast.
- Place roast on a rack in a roasting pan. Roast for 18 to 21 minutes; 18 minutes for medium-rare to 21 minutes for medium-well. Turn oven off and keep oven door closed. Let beef sit in hot oven for 2 hours total to finish cooking, until an internal thermometer reaches 145°F when tested. (NOTE: Do not open oven door or hot air will escape and beef will not cook through.) Rest for 5 minutes before slicing against the grain.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot on high, place sweet potatoes and enough water to cover; bring to a boil. Add remaining 2 cloves garlic and cauliflower. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook about 20 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Drain vegetables, reserving 1/4 cup cooking water. Return vegetables and reserved water to pot and partially mash. Add milk, oil and remaining 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Mash to desired consistency. Top with chives. Serve with beef.
- Serving Size: 5 oz roast and 3/4 cup mashed veggies
- Calories: 323
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Cholesterol Content: 103 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 3.5 g
- Protein Content: 43 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 496 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g