Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
TIP: If following our Meal Plan, refrigerate 1 serving of leftover roast and mashed veggies, and separately pack and refrigerate 2 3-oz portions leftover roast.
- Remove roast from refrigerator 30 minutes before prepping. Preheat oven to 500°F. Cut 1 clove garlic into 8 slivers. Cut 8 slits lengthwise in top of roast. Tuck garlic slivers into slits on roast. In a small bowl, mix 1 1⁄4 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and thyme; rub to cover top and sides of roast.
- Place roast on a rack in a roasting pan. Roast for 18 to 21 minutes; 18 minutes for medium-rare to 21 minutes for medium-well. Turn oven off and keep oven door closed. Let beef sit in hot oven for 2 hours total to finish cooking, until an internal thermometer reaches 145°F when tested. (Note: Do not open oven door or hot air will escape and beef will not cook through.) Rest for 5 minutes before slicing against the grain.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot on high, place sweet potatoes and enough water to cover; bring to a boil. Add remaining 2 cloves garlic and cauliflower. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook about 20 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Drain vegetables, reserving 1/4 cup cooking water. Return vegetables and reserved water to pot and partially mash. Add milk, oil and remaining 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Mash to desired consistency. Top with chives. Serve with beef.
- Serving Size 5 oz roast and 3/4 cup mashed veggies
- Calories 323
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 103 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 3.5 g
- Protein Content 43 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 496 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g