Beat Blood Pressure Imbalance
The fall harvest is here, which means you can fill up on crucial vitamins and minerals through farm-fresh produce. The beets in this recipe have been linked to lowering blood pressure as they are rich in nitrates, which the body converts to nitric acid that helps to relax and widen blood vessels. Chickpeas can help control appetite, containing about 18 grams of satiating plant-based protein and 16 grams of dietary fiber per one-cup serving.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
1. Arrange racks in top and bottom thirds of oven and preheat to 400ºF. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Make salad: In a large bowl, toss together carrots, chickpeas and one-half each of the oil, salt and pepper. Spread mixture on 1 of the prepared baking sheets. Using same bowl, toss beet slices with remaining one-half of each oil, salt and pepper. Spread beet mixture on second prepared sheet. Roast, tossing occasionally and switching and rotating sheets halfway through, until beets are tender and carrots are browned on edges, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool.
3. Meanwhile, make dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients. Set aside.
4. Place spinach in a large bowl or on a platter. Add beets, carrot mixture and any oil remaining on baking sheets. Toss to combine. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Top with trout, pumpkin seeds and cilantro.
Make Ahead: Cover and refrigerate assembled salad for up to 3 days. Alternatively, make components up to 2 days ahead. Store dressing and vegetables in separate airtight containers in the fridge. Store chickpeas at room temperature.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 454
- Carbohydrate Content 33 g
- Cholesterol Content 69 mg
- Fat Content 24 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 29 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 796 mg
- Sugar Content 16 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 11 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g