Related: Why Go Grain-Free?
- 6 figs, quartered
- 1 cup red seedless grapes
- 1 tart apple, cored and cut into thin wedges
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 head radicchio, torn into bite-size pieces
- 6 cups baby romaine
- 2 cups baby arugula dressing
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp minced shallot
- 2 tsp whole-grain mustard
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss figs, grapes, apple, hazelnuts, vinegar and olive oil together and spread the fruits and nuts out evenly on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes, gently tossing once halfway through, until the fruit has softened. Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes
2. To make the dressing: Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, shallot, mustard, thyme, and salt and pepper. Toss the radicchio, romaine and arugula with the dressing. Divide the greens among plates, top each with some of the roasted fruits and serve.
Make it ahead: One day before serving, in a bowl, toss the fruit in the vinegar and oil, wrap the bowl tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate. Wash and dry the lettuce up to 3 days in advance and store wrapped in damp paper towels in resealable bags in the refrigerator. Make the dressing up to 1 week in advance and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Tip: Use rehydrated figs or substitute pears if you are unable to locate fresh figs. If cheese is tolerated, crumble a little chèvre or blue cheese on top.
Recipe excerpted from Eat What You Love. Copyright © 2018 by Danielle Walker. Used with permission of Ten Speed Press All rights reserved.