Nutritional Bonus: Bell peppers are among the best sources of vitamin C, a water-soluble vitamin with immune-boosting and antioxidant effects.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tbsp safflower oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion
- 4 poblano chile peppers, seeded and quartered
- 2 yellow bell peppers, seeded and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tsp chile powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cups skim milk
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 large lime, cut into wedges
- 1 poblano chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- In a large nonstick skillet on medium-high, heat 1 tsp oil. Add onion and cook until very browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a 4- to 6-qt slow cooker.
- To slow cooker, add 4 poblano peppers, bell peppers, garlic, chile powder, cumin and remaining 2 tsp oil. Stir well, cover and cook on low for 7 hours (or on high for 3 1/2 hours).
- Transfer pepper mixture to a blender along with avocado; puree until smooth. (Remove plastic lid in cover and cover top with a kitchen towel to allow steam to escape.) Return to slow cooker and stir in milk and salt. (If necessary, cover and cook on high for 15 minutes more to reheat.)
- In a small bowl, combine relish ingredients. Divide soup among serving bowls and top with relish, sour cream and lime wedges.
- Serving Size: 1 cup soup, 1/3 cup topping, 2 tbsp sour cream
- Calories: 281
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 19 mg
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 458 mg
- Sugar Content: 15 g