Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Nutritional Bonus: Bell peppers are among the best sources of vitamin C, a water-soluble vitamin with immune-boosting and antioxidant effects.
- In a large nonstick skillet on medium-high, heat 1 tsp oil. Add onion and cook until very browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a 4- to 6-qt slow cooker.
- To slow cooker, add 4 poblano peppers, bell peppers, garlic, chile powder, cumin and remaining 2 tsp oil. Stir well, cover and cook on low for 7 hours (or on high for 3 1/2 hours).
- Transfer pepper mixture to a blender along with avocado; puree until smooth. (Remove plastic lid in cover and cover top with a kitchen towel to allow steam to escape.) Return to slow cooker and stir in milk and salt. (If necessary, cover and cook on high for 15 minutes more to reheat.)
- In a small bowl, combine relish ingredients. Divide soup among serving bowls and top with relish, sour cream and lime wedges.
- Serving Size 1 cup soup, 1/3 cup topping, 2 tbsp sour cream
- Calories 281
- Carbohydrate Content 34 g
- Cholesterol Content 19 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 458 mg
- Sugar Content 15 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g