Your taste buds and your heart will be equally appreciative of this filling meal. Just 1 serving provides 47% of your daily requirement of fiber; a high-fiber diet has been shown to decrease heart disease risk in a number of studies. Shrimp provide a good dose of low-fat protein, plus they contribute omega-3 fatty acids, which may help decrease levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 24 oz jarred roasted red peppers, packed in water, drained (about 4 cups)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can cannellini or Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed (TRY: Eden Organic Cannellini or Great Northern Beans)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 8 oz)
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 8-oz whole-wheat baguette, halved lengthwise
- 1 clove garlic, halved crosswise
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil, plus whole leaves for garnish, optional
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender, purée red peppers and 2 cups broth until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan and add remaining 2 cups broth, oregano, bay leaves and beans. Stir to combine, heat on medium-high and bring to a gentle boil. Decrease heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coat a large grill pan or griddle with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Season shrimp with black pepper. Add shrimp to 1 side of pan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side, until opaque and cooked through. Transfer to a large plate. Meanwhile, brush oil on cut sides of baguette, dividing evenly. Place baguette oil side down in remaining half of grill pan and toast until golden-brown, about 2 minutes. Immediately rub toasted side of baguette with cut side of garlic. Cut baguette into 4 2-oz slices.
- Remove soup from heat. Remove and discard bay leaves; stir in basil. Ladle soup into serving bowls, top with shrimp and serve with baguette, dividing evenly.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups soup, 4 shrimp, 2 oz baguette
- Calories: 376
- Carbohydrate Content: 59.5 g
- Cholesterol Content: 43 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 12 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1.5 g
- Sodium Content: 416 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g