Roasted Sweet Peppers with Sour Orange Vinaigrette & Goat Cheese
Sweet roasted peppers are drizzled with a citrus vinaigrette and just a touch of heat.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 3 red and/or orange bell peppers
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3/4 tsp each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, divided
- Pinch organic evaporated cane juice (TRY: Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Sugar)
- 2 tbsp fresh orange or tangerine juice
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 oz goat or feta cheese, crumbled
- Whole-grain baguette or country bread, sliced and toasted
- Heat an outdoor grill to medium. Add bell peppers to grill and cook, uncovered and turing often, just until skins are fully blackened. (Alternatively, carefully blacken bell peppers directly on the burner of a gas stove top using tongs.) Transfer to a large bowl, cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and set aside until cool enough to handle. Pell off skins and remove stems. Halve and seed bell peppers, then slice into 1-inch wide strips; cut strips on the diagonal into diamonds.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp oil on medium. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add bell peppers, 1/4 tsp each salt and black pepper and cane juice. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until bell peppers are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk remaining 1 tbsp oil, remaining 1/2 tsp each salt and black pepper, orange juice, lemon juice and pepper flakes until well combined.
- Divide bell pepper mixture among plates and drizzle with vinaigrette. Top with cheese. Serve warm or at room temperature with bread.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 171
- Carbohydrate Content 10 g
- Cholesterol Content 7 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 415 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g