Video: Cooking with Onions
Try not to cry! Watch as Chef Jo explains the different kinds of onions you find in the supermarket and how best to use them.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch-thick chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp sea salt, divided
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Zest 1 orange
- 4 tbsp fresh orange juice, divided
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, divided
- 3 tbsp whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- 3 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- Arrange 1 rack in upper third and 1 rack in lower third of oven; preheat oven to 425°F. Mist 2 large, rimmed baking sheets with cooking spray. Divide potatoes evenly among sheets. Toss each sheet of potatoes with 1/2 tbsp oil, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Spread potatoes in a single layer and transfer 1 sheet to upper and 1 sheet to lower third of oven. Roast for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk orange zest, 2 tbsp orange juice and honey.
- Remove potatoes from oven and drizzle with orange juice mixture, dividing evenly. Toss to coat and spread potatoes in a single layer. Return sheets to oven, switching rack positions, and roast until potatoes are just tender and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil on medium-low. Add onion and season with remaining 1/8 tsp salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, lightly browned and caramelized, 15 to 18 minutes. (MAKE AHEAD: Prepare through Step 4 up to 24 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate potatoes and onions in separate containers, then bring to room temperature before proceeding with Step 5.)
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°F. In an 11 x 7-inch or equivalent baking dish, gently combine potatoes, remaining 2 tbsp orange juice and 1 1/2 tsp thyme and spread evenly over bottom. Layer onions, panko and cheese over top, distributing evenly. Bake until potatoes are hot and cheese is lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tsp thyme. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup
- Calories: 242
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Cholesterol Content: 4 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 255 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g