Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
WEIGHT LOSS SUPERSTAR:
Chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) are a secret weapon for weight maintenance and weight loss. The high-fiber legume helps you feel full for longer and helps stabilize blood sugar – both are key aids in warding off unhealthy food cravings.
- Cook penne until al dente according to package directions. Drain and return to pot; set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium saucepan on medium-low. Add cumin and toast, shaking pan occasionally, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add red peppers and tomatoes and stir to combine. Increase heat to medium, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, purée into a slightly chunky sauce. (Alternatively, transfer mixture to an upright blender, remove plastic stopper from lid, cover loosely with a kitchen towel and purée into a slightly chunky sauce.) Return sauce to pot.
- Arrange 1 oven rack 8 to 10 inches from element and preheat broiler to high. Line a large rimmed baking sheet or broiler pan with foil and mist with cooking spray. Spread zucchini on sheet, mist with cooking spray and season with black pepper. Broil, tossing once, just until tender and lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Heat pasta on low and stir in red pepper mixture, chickpeas and olives until warmed through. Add zucchini, gently toss and remove from heat. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with feta and parsley (if using).
- Serving Size 1 3/4 cups
- Calories 389
- Carbohydrate Content 66 g
- Cholesterol Content 6 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 10.5 g
- Protein Content 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 522 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g