Find more holiday recipes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 large celery root, peeled halved and thinly sliced (TIP: Place in a large bowl of cold water with juice of ½ lemon to prevent browning while slicing other veggies.)
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh roasted and shelled chestnuts (or packaged), thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp organic unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp white whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup finely grated Gruyère cheese
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/8 tsp each ground nutmeg and ginger
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 cup toasted whole-grain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Mist a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray. In a large bowl, gently combine celery root, carrots, onion and chestnuts. Transfer to prepared dish.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan on medium, melt butter. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Whisk in milk and broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook until slightly thickened, 1 minute. Remove from heat, add Gruyère, 3 tbsp Parmesan, nutmeg, ginger, salt and pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Pour evenly over vegetables, cover with foil and bake 35 minutes; remove foil and bake 30 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine remaining 1 tbsp Parmesan and bread crumbs. Set aside.
- Remove foil and top with bread crumb mixture; return to oven for 10 minutes more, until bread crumbs are toasted. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 172
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Cholesterol Content: 23 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 2.5 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 236 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g