Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Find more holiday recipes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Mist a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray. In a large bowl, gently combine celery root, carrots, onion and chestnuts. Transfer to prepared dish.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan on medium, melt butter. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Whisk in milk and broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook until slightly thickened, 1 minute. Remove from heat, add Gruyère, 3 tbsp Parmesan, nutmeg, ginger, salt and pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Pour evenly over vegetables, cover with foil and bake 35 minutes; remove foil and bake 30 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine remaining 1 tbsp Parmesan and bread crumbs. Set aside.
- Remove foil and top with bread crumb mixture; return to oven for 10 minutes more, until bread crumbs are toasted. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
- Serving Size 1 cup
- Calories 172
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 23 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 2.5 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 236 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g