IN THE OVEN:
You can also bake this bread in the oven, which yields a slightly crisper, less dense loaf. After forming the rolled loaf in Step Two, place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet and cover with a dish towel. Let it rise for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375°F. Once loaf has risen, remove dish towel and brush top of log with egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake on middle rack in oven for 30 minutes or until crust is browned and sounds hollow when tapped.
This dough can also be used to make a chewy, hearty pizza crust. Once dough is kneaded and proofed in bread machine, use your hands to stretch and pat it into a pizza crust, about 1/4 - to 1/2 -inch thick. Cover dough with your choice of sauce and toppings then bake in a 425°F oven until dough begins to brown, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 14 slices (1 loaf)Servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 1/4 cups white whole-wheat flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tbsp vital wheat gluten
- 2 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp dried oregano, divided
- 3 oz sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives, pitted
- 3 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- Place 1 1/4 cups water, oil, honey, salt, flour, gluten, yeast, garlic powder and 1 tbsp oregano in a bread machine, according to manufacturer's directions. Program bread machine for the "dough" setting. (NOTE: The amount of time varies according to machine, but typical bread machines take about 1 1/2 hours to knead and proof dough.)
- When dough cycle is completed, transfer dough to a work surface lightly dusted with flour. Pat or roll dough into a rectangle that is roughly as wide as the bread machine is long, about 10 to 12 inches. Sprinkle dough evenly with tomatoes, olives, mozzarella and remaining 1 tbsp oregano.
- Beginning with 1 of the short sides, roll dough, jelly-roll-style, to form a log. Remove paddle from bread machine baking pan and place log of dough in pan, making sure the seam is on the bottom. Put pan back in bread machine and let loaf rise for 1 hour.
- Once loaf has risen, brush top lightly with egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Set "bake-only" cycle of bread machine for 1 hour, 20 minutes. Check bread after 1 hour. Bread is done when it is lightly golden on the top and has a slightly hollow sound when tapped. Remove from pan immediately and let cool completely before slicing. Cooled bread will keep at room temperature or refrigerated for 2 to 3 days, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 175
- Carbohydrate Content: 29 g
- Cholesterol Content: 3 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 350 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g