Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
For more chicken recipes, click here.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a small bowl combine 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, minced garlic, sage, shallots and 1 tsp oil. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Using a sharp knife, gently loosen chicken skin. Use your fingers to spread seasoning mixture under skin. Stuff whole garlic cloves and lemon halves inside chicken cavity. Tie ends of legs together with twine. Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, until temperature reaches 165°F when tested with a food thermometer in thickest part, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, place turnips and carrots in a large resealable plastic bag; add garlic powder, 1 tbsp oil, 3/4 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp salt and lemon juice. Seal bag and shake until vegetables are coated.
- On a foil-lined baking pan, spread vegetables in an even layer. During last 20 minutes of chicken roasting time, place pan with vegetables in oven. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine mustard and honey.
- Remove chicken from oven and cover with foil; set aside for 15 minutes. Continue roasting vegetables for a total of 35 minutes. In last 5 minutes of roasting, sprinkle chives over vegetables.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board to carve. Transfer vegetables to a bowl; drizzle in mustard mixture and toss.
- Serving Size 3 oz sage chicken and 1/2 cup vegetables
- Calories 288
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 75 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 27 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 519 mg
- Sugar Content 19 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g