This recipe sounds like comfort food — and it is! But it’s a better-for-you version than the ones you’ll find in diners. It has all the taste appeal of the original but uses only wholesome ingredients including whole-grain flour to give it more of what you need and less of what you don’t. Serve with a simple green salad or steamed green beans.
UNREFINED WHITE FLOUR: White whole-wheat flour doesn’t contain any major genes for the color of the bran, leaving it lighter in color. But don’t be fooled – it’s still 100% whole wheat, and like other whole-grain flours, it contains the nutritious bran and germ.
- Prep Time
1 lb lean ground beef
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, divided
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tbsp unsalted tomato paste
2 tsp Dijon mustard
3/4 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper, divided
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp safflower oil, divided
2 tsp organic unsalted butter
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
4 oz wild mushrooms (such as cremini, oyster or morel), trimmed and sliced
1 1/2 tbsp white whole-wheat flour
1 cup low-sodium beef broth
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1. In a large bowl, combine beef, 1½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce, thyme, tomato paste, mustard, ½ tsp each salt and pepper and garlic. Mix well and form into 4 patties. Sprinkle both sides of patties with remaining ¼ tsp each salt and pepper.
2. In a large skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Cook patties, flipping once, until no longer pink inside, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate; cover to keep warm.
3. Reduce heat on skillet to medium and melt butter. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and softened, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until browned and softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Sprinkle flour over mushroom mixture and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in broth, vinegar and remaining ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer until gravy is thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Divide patties among plates; top with gravy.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 262
- Carbohydrate Content: 8 g
- Cholesterol Content: 77 mg
- Fat Content: 13.5 g
- Fiber Content: 1.5 g
- Protein Content: 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 584 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3 g