Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
This recipe sounds like comfort food — and it is! But it’s a better-for-you version than the ones you’ll find in diners. It has all the taste appeal of the original but uses only wholesome ingredients including whole-grain flour to give it more of what you need and less of what you don’t. Serve with a simple green salad or steamed green beans.
Unrefined White Flour: White whole-wheat flour doesn’t contain any major genes for the color of the bran, leaving it lighter in color. But don’t be fooled – it’s still 100% whole wheat, and like other whole-grain flours, it contains the nutritious bran and germ.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
1. In a large bowl, combine beef, 1½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce, thyme, tomato paste, mustard, ½ tsp each salt and pepper and garlic. Mix well and form into 4 patties. Sprinkle both sides of patties with remaining ¼ tsp each salt and pepper.
2. In a large skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Cook patties, flipping once, until no longer pink inside, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate; cover to keep warm.
3. Reduce heat on skillet to medium and melt butter. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and softened, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until browned and softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Sprinkle flour over mushroom mixture and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in broth, vinegar and remaining ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer until gravy is thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Divide patties among plates; top with gravy.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 262
- Carbohydrate Content 8 g
- Cholesterol Content 77 mg
- Fat Content 13.5 g
- Fiber Content 1.5 g
- Protein Content 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 584 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g