Salmon-Caper Breakfast Pockets
With more fiber and less fat than your typical deli bagel with cream cheese and lox, this pocket still delivers savory speedy satisfaction. Protein-rich pouched or canned salmon in lieu of the traditional smoked and cured variety kicks loads of sodium and nitrites out of the picture.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Here’s another great breakfast idea: pumpkin pancakes!
- 1/3 cup cream cheese
- 3 tbsp capers, drained
- Zest 1/2 lemon (about 1 1/2 tsp)
- 2 whole-wheat pitas (each 6 inches in diameter), halved
- 7 oz cooked salmon (pouched or canned), flaked
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups baby arugula leaves
- In a small bowl, blend together cream cheese, capers and lemon zest.
- Gently open 1 pita half and spread quarter of cream-cheese mixture on 1 side. Arrange quarter of salmon on top of cream-cheese mixture, then add quarter of tomato and tuck in 1/2 cup arugula. Repeat steps with remaining pita halves and filling.
- Serving Size breakfast pocket (1 half pita)
- Calories 210
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 38 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 476 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g