Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Nutritional Bonus: If you want a glowing complexion, don’t skip this recipe. Rich in omega-3 fatty acids, salmon is great for your skin, as it helps retain moisture and encourages the production of firming collagen. And if you need more food for thought: Omega-3s have been found to aid long-term cognition.
COST PER SERVING
These salmon patties taste delicious all by themselves, but you can also dress them up with a simple fruit sauce. Combine 1/4 cup no-sugar-added fruit preserves (strawberry or raspberry works best) with 1/4 cup water. Cook preserves in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until thickened and warm. Remove from heat and drizzle over patties.
- In a large bowl, mix together diced onion, salmon, egg whites, Dijon, bread crumbs, carrot and 1 tbsp cilantro. Using your hands, form mixture into 4 large patties, each about 4 or 5 inches in diameter.
- Heat a large nonstick or cast-iron pan over medium-high for 1 minute. Mist with cooking spray. Place all 4 patties in pan and cook for 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove patties from pan and set aside.
- Wipe out same large nonstick or cast-iron pan with paper towel; then heat over medium-high for 1 minute. Mist with cooking spray again. Add squash, zucchini and thinly sliced onion. Sauté for about 2 minutes, then add 1 tbsp water. (The water will help steam vegetables and cook them more thoroughly.) Cook for another 5 minutes or until squash and zucchini are tender and onion is translucent. When vegetables are just finished cooking, add remaining 1 tbsp cilantro and mix. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve 1 patty with 3/4 cup vegetables. Garnish with additional herbs, if desired.
- Serving Size 1 patty and 3/4 cup vegetables
- Calories 210
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 25 mg
- Fat Content 4.5 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 340 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g