Nutritional Bonus: If you want a glowing complexion, don't skip this recipe. Rich in omega-3 fatty acids, salmon is great for your skin, as it helps retain moisture and encourages the production of firming collagen. And if you need more food for thought: Omega-3s have been found to aid long-term cognition.
COST PER SERVING
These salmon patties taste delicious all by themselves, but you can also dress them up with a simple fruit sauce. Combine 1/4 cup no-sugar-added fruit preserves (strawberry or raspberry works best) with 1/4 cup water. Cook preserves in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until thickened and warm. Remove from heat and drizzle over patties.
- Prep Time
- 1 medium yellow onion, half diced and half thinly sliced, divided
- 1 6-oz can salmon packed in water, without bones or skin, drained
- 2 egg whites, whisked
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, minced, divided
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced, or 12 baby patty pan squash, cut in half
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Additional fresh herbs, chopped, or green onion curls, for garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix together diced onion, salmon, egg whites, Dijon, bread crumbs, carrot and 1 tbsp cilantro. Using your hands, form mixture into 4 large patties, each about 4 or 5 inches in diameter.
- Heat a large nonstick or cast-iron pan over medium-high for 1 minute. Mist with cooking spray. Place all 4 patties in pan and cook for 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove patties from pan and set aside.
- Wipe out same large nonstick or cast-iron pan with paper towel; then heat over medium-high for 1 minute. Mist with cooking spray again. Add squash, zucchini and thinly sliced onion. Sauté for about 2 minutes, then add 1 tbsp water. (The water will help steam vegetables and cook them more thoroughly.) Cook for another 5 minutes or until squash and zucchini are tender and onion is translucent. When vegetables are just finished cooking, add remaining 1 tbsp cilantro and mix. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve 1 patty with 3/4 cup vegetables. Garnish with additional herbs, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 patty and 3/4 cup vegetables
- Calories: 210
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Cholesterol Content: 25 mg
- Fat Content: 4.5 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 340 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g