Salmon Roasted in Cilantro Salsa
The tart green cilantro sauce in this recipe balances out the salmon's rich flavor - and perfectly complements the color - making this dish worthy of serving at your next big dinner party.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Video: Fish: Salmon
Chef Jo shares all you need to know about this firm pink fish, plus a recipe for Asian-style grilled salmon!
Nutritional Bonus: In a rare performance, brain- and heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids beat our omega-6s in our fish dish by a ratio of more than two to one.
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp sunflower or safflower oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 18-oz salmon fillet, skinned
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Roast pepper by laying it directly on a gas burner or beneath a broiler, turning with tongs as needed, until charred and blackened all over. Place in a bag and let steam until cool to the touch. Under running water, rub off blackened skin. Pat pepper dry with paper towel, then slit open. Scrape out seeds and interior ribs and pull off stem. Cut pepper into thin strips. In a blender, combine pepper strips, lime juice, onions, cilantro, oil and salt; purée.
- Place salmon in a baking dish just large enough to fit fillet. Pour cilantro salsa from blender over salmon, turning fish to coat on both sides. Bake, uncovered, until fish is cooked to your liking in center, 20 to 25 minutes depending on thickness of the fish. To see if it’s done, slide a knife into the thickest part and push back to expose center; fish should be just opaque in the middle. To serve, slice fillet into pieces and spoon salsa from pan over top of each portion.
- Serving Size 3 oz
- Calories 180
- Carbohydrate Content 3 g
- Cholesterol Content 60 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 210 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g